Facebook

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Unbelievable clouds



Tom and I were driving back from MI today when we ran into this eery, crazy storm just inside WI. Tom was driving, and I kept saying, "Look at that--look at THAT!" And he was like, "I'm driving--and we're about to die, so I'd rather not." I went on and on before he said he was serious--no more talking about the cloud--did I think we could drive past it soon? I think. But I was wrong--we ended up completely beneath it. It was incredibly windy but we didn't get any rain until we hit the other end of it. Because Tom didn't want me to talk about the cloud or continue to stare at it with my mouth literally hanging open, I got out my camera and took all sorts of pictures. Here are a few--other than compressing for the web, these photos taken from the car are completely unedited.








3 comments:

  1. The technical term for this kind of cloud formation is shelf cloud which precede major thunderstorms, cold fronts, or both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great pics. It looks like the storm Judd and I drove through on our way to WA as we were passing through WI. That storm took down trees and such. It was scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool photos. Bob and I still talk about the cloud that looked like a "blue whale" we saw while driving toward Grand Marais in the U.P.

    ReplyDelete